Recover deleted text messages iphone without computer or backup?
July 31, 2018 (Updated: August 19, 2020）• Filed to: iOS Data Recovery
Accidental deletion of data on your device is not uncommon and it can happen at inopportune moments. When you accidentally delete some of the text messages on your device, you can immediately go into panic mode trying to find ways you can get the messages back on to the device or at least access them so you can see them.
But what if you don’t have access to a computer and you still need to recover deleted text messages. In this article, we take a look at some of the options you have when you need to recover deleted text messages on your iPhone without a computer.
- Tip 1: How to Recover iPhone Messages without Computer
- Tip 2: How to Recover iPhone Messages with Computer
- Tip 3: How to prevent losing your Text messages again
Tip 1: How to Recover iPhone Messages without Computer
1.1 Check If You Have Enabled iCloud Backup and Turned on Messages
If you enabled automatic iCloud backup at some point and turned on “Messages” you may likely have a backup of the deleted messages in iCloud. To check if the iCloud backup is turned on go to Settings >
If it is, then you can easily recover the messages by simply restoring the iCloud backup. To do that, follow these simple steps;
- Step 1: You will need to be on the set-up screen to restore the device. If the device is not new, you can get there by erasing all contents and settings. You can do that by going to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings. If you want to restore only messages from iCloud backup without resetting your device, try our iTransor backup and restore tool.
- Step 2: Complete all steps on the Set-up screen until you get to the “Set Up iPhone Screen.” Here, tap on “Restore from an iCloud Backup.”
- Step 3: Sign in to iCloud using your Apple credentials. Keep the device connected to a Wi-Fi network until the process is complete.
- Not just text messages, all the data you've backed-up before will be retrieved from iCloud backup.
- This method will replace all the current data on your phone with the data from your last iCloud backup.
1.2 Check If You Have Synced Messages with Other Apple Devices
If you had synced the messages with another Apple device, you can very easily get them back by simply looking for them on the other device. To check if messages are synced with another iOS device, follow these simple steps;
- Step 1: On the iPhone, go to Settings > Messages and then check the last sync date to see if it was before the messages got deleted.
- Step 2: If it is, you can easily find the deleted messages on iCloud from another Apple device.
Make sure that the auto iCloud backup had been disabled on that iOS device after you synced the messages.
Tip 2: How to Recover iPhone Messages with Computer
If the above situations don’t apply to you, the only way you can recover the messages is by using a 3rd-party tool. The main reason why you might be able to recover the messages even without a backup is that when you delete a message, it is not completely removed from the device. Instead, the device just marks it for deletion but it remains on the device.
A data recovery tool will find this hidden file and recover it. But it can only do that when the messages have not been overwritten. To avoid overwriting the messages, avoid using the device since any data generating operation can overwrite the missing data.
One of the best 3rd-party data recovery tools you can use to get your messages back is iMyFone D-Back.
iMyFone D-Back iPhone Data Recovery (compatible with iOS 14/13/12/11)
- Get back your deleted/missing/lost text messages and other kinds of data due to accidental deletion, water damage, iOS update, and more.
- Easy to use and fast to recover.
- Supports previewing before recovery, allows you to selectively or completely choose messages to recover.
- 4 recovery modes are provided: Smart Recovery, Recover from iOS Device, Recover from iTunes, Recover from iCloud. It is also capable of fixing the iOS system.
- 100% safe and high success rate of recovery.
- Step 1: From the main window, select “Recover from iOS Device” and then click “Start” to begin. Connect your device to your computer.
- Step 2: Select “Message” in the next window as the type of data to recover and then click “Scan.”
- Step 3: When the scanning process is complete, you should see a list of all messages on that device displayed in the next window. Select the messages you want to recover and then click “Recover” to save them to your computer.